WickedGL Fix -- Wednesday, June 19, 2002
For those of you having the WickedGL boot to desktop problem, that should now be fixed with Valve's most current Security Module update. Here's the word from Eric Smith:
We've updated the security modules again. These modules should fix the problems with clients using WickedGL drivers not being able to play.
Your Counter-Strike servers should update themselves automatically. If you find your servers are suddenly having problems, try restarting the servers. There have been some situations where the servers and clients got into a state where they couldn't communicate properly.
NOTE: Please take into account that we've had problems with false positives when considering whether to permanently ban a player who has been detected.
Thanks to everyone who helped out with the release of 1.5. It was one of the more smooth releases in recent memory. To all those who mirrored files to serve the demand, thank you. A couple issues have come up with the release, which I'll try to address in an organized way.
"Error! Server verification failed" Problem
This error is caused by the client's inability to communicate with the Secure Master servers to validate the security module being used on secure servers. It can be caused by a few different problems. Here are some things to try:
1) Clients need to communicate with the Secure Master servers (port 27012). First, make sure there isn't a firewall problem.
2) Make sure you do NOT have a file called "woncomm.lst" in your \cstrike folder. If you do, delete it. This file should ONLY reside in your \valve folder.
3) Open the "woncomm.lst" file in your \valve folder (using notepad) and make sure there is an entry that looks like this at the bottom of the file:
4) If your "woncomm.lst" file DOES have the "Secure" entry and you still can't connect to the Secure Master servers, it might be a DNS problem. Try changing your "Secure" entry to look like this:
5) Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. We've heard reports of people with Linksys 4 port routers having problems and when they updated their firmware the problems disappeared.
"TrackerUI.dll invalid" Problem
This error is harmless and doesn't mean anything. To remove the error from your console, simply follow the same steps outlined for F1 and F2 binding problems (below).
F1 and F2 Binding Problem
To be able to bind your F1 and F2 keys: Go to your Half-Life (or Counter-Strike Retail) directory, open the "valve" folder, open the "cl_dlls" folder, and rename the file "GameUI.dll" to something else (i.e. "GameUI.bak"). You should be able to bind your F1 and F2 keys again.
Counter-Strike version 1.5 Windows client files are now out! Use the download links to your right to grab the version you need. You can get the full 121meg Mod version file, the 7meg Mod upgrade, the full 116meg Retail file, or the 19meg Retail upgrade patch. Check back here in the next few days for the unofficial "missing retail mappack."
Click here to read the full readme.txt. Here is a quick changelog:
- New map de_piranesi.
- Ricochet included in this release.
- Added logging of the anti-cheat system catching and kicking detected cheats.
- Added logging of "kick" commands.
- Added logging of "banid" commands.
- Changed error message if clients try to download missing resources to be more helpful.
- Added new debug message for mod makers if a packet couldn't be parsed correctly.
- Linux: hlds_run now does auto-restart by default (to disable: define "-norestart" on the command
- Linux: hlds_run uses "exec" when you define the "-norestart" option.
- Linux: Added -pingboost command line parameter. Currently supports three different methods
('-pingboost 1', '-pingboost 2', and 'pingboost 3'). These may not work well (or at all) on some OS
- Linux: Added "-debug" flag to hlds_run to automatically run gdb and pull out useful info.
- Added "serverversion", can be set to '1108' to view/re-record old demos.
- Added "sv_logbans" to turn the logging of player bans on and off. Default is 0 (off).
- Fixed mp_hostagepenalty not working.
- Fixed problem with server locking when the bomb is planted and a new player joins the server.
- Restored "mp_fadetoblack" server variable.
- Fixed incorrect WonID logging.
- Fixed sv_allowdownload being required to be set to 1 for clients to connect to secure servers.
- Fixed 'bad address type' fatal error on servers that attempt to run in secure mode but have no DNS
- Fixed DropClient messages for Steam clients who were banned or have a duplicate Steam ID to properly
show the SteamID of the client.
- Fixed HLTV reporting wrong spectator numbers if connection to server was pending.
- Fixed "multicast 1" not working if it was issued before HLTV connected to game server.
- Fixed relay proxies reporting wrong spectator/slots numbers in multiplayer/LAN menu.
- Fixed DMC powerup bug where the invisibility ring would make people glow red.
- Fixed rcon bug in HLTV.
- Fixed delay being reset to default value during changelevel.
- Fixed a problem with propagating HLTV banners.
- Fixed client freeze on exit.
- Fixed framerate problem on some ATI video cards.
- Fixed MaxPing filter not being saved correctly.
- Fixed sky box bug.
- Linux: Fixed server using 64 MB more memory than it needed to.
- Linux: Fixed 'undefined symbol: __strtouq_internal' on some Linux systems.
- Linux: Fixed segmentation fault on some Linux systems when attempting to run in secure mode.
The CS 1.5 Linux Server Files are out. Head over to the Linux Upgrade page for the 6meg upgrade or hit the Full Linux file page for the 107meg file. Windows clients will be coming tomorrow.
Here are two screenshots from de_piranesi, the new 1.5 map by Iikka from Valve:
Keep in mind that CS and HL Linux files will be going out to mirrors tonight so that server ops can upgrade immediately tomorrow. If you're a linux server op, stay tuned to the site for word of the files.
It's looking like Wednesday is the day for CS v1.5 along with a new Half-Life version 220.127.116.11. The updates will include the Ricochet Mod, phase two of the recently introduced anti-cheat technology, a new Counter-Strike map (de_piranesi), as well as various fixes and tweaks. Server files will go out Tuesday evening while client files will show up at 11am PST on Wednesday. Check back here to cs.net for a full mirror listing and further information.
The Counter-Strike 1.4 Windows client files are now out for both Retail and Mod versions. If you're unsure of the difference between the two versions, see our FAQ. Remember that if you're using HL Mod Version, you'll also need the latest HL patch, which you can grab @ Fileplanet. Also for those of you using broadband, be sure to try out Steam in order to bypass all patch headaches. Below is a listing of the download locations as well as a changelog:
We'll have a more complete listing of mirrors as soon as the web server settles down due to incredible traffic.